Friday, May 29, 2009

The Planting of the Land

It´s Friday. The picks and shovels are waiting in the sun. One Hundred small palm trees arrived to my Donas house. And The Kids are excited to plant. So after lunch at Mecho´s house I´m going to rally the rambuncious troops (Jairo my 10 year side kick is especially energetic) and off we shall march to odorn the entrance to our barrio with beautiful trees. Each kid will be responsible for taking care of each tree they plant for as long as they´re living here in Ojo de Aguas. I´m just imagining how this barrio will look when I return in 20 years with my own kids to show them where I spent two years of my life enjoying a family neighborhood of cousins, trees, and trash.

Basketball continues to flow through my mind as I enjoy time just relaxing with my favorite Dominican father, Pedro. Yesterday I played 5 games, and tonight I think I´m headed to watch a game under the lights. If I continue to live the life with the barrio kids I think I will continue to be a kid. I always dreamed of having the chance to go to ¨Never, Never, Land.¨ Perhaps it has arrived here in the barrio of Ojos de Aguas, at the base of the mountains, in La Republica Dominicana... far different than I imagined it to be, but none the less just as delicious and flavorful as a papaya smoothie.

1 comment:

  1. Jared,
    I can't bear your descriptions. They all sound delicious, good enough to eat in fact! Anyway, it's nice to be able feel as though it's possible to be there with you in spirit.

    P.S. Keep the news coming!
    Love,
    Elizabeth and your whole east coast family

    ReplyDelete