Friday, July 10, 2009

Bless the Lord!

They say LIFESTRONG. Lance is pumping the petals through Western Europe and I'm strutting with my yellow slippers down the white halls of Jackson Memorial Hospital. So I'm here about to bust out of all this medical attention and finish resting up at Cousin Dee Dee's house in Miami. I've met gracious doctors and nurses who have served me at 3:30am with the sweetest smiles plastered on their faces. I know it's not easy being trapped inside these concrete walls for 12 hour shifts, but these people have the patience and the vision for the job. God has blessed me with peace and a strong recovery from who knows what. My mom sat by my side with bags of nuts and m&ms as well as a library of the richest spiritual writings Mary Baker Eddy has to offer. There's a healing that comes from every challenge in life. This healing for me has involved Dominicans and Americans, moms and dads, pilots and social workers, good people and buena gente. I have so much to be grateful for so I spend much of my day reading and reflecting upon "the good already recieved." To be healed I have to step outside myself and recognize my true identity as a healthy, capable, and humble child of God. No one really knows what happened to me beside me feeling really fatigued one day after cutting some weeds and prunning some trees in Ojo de Agua. It's easy to talk about how my body struggled, but I'd rather report on finding my harmonica again as a friendly companion, or chillin' with "Lazy Richard" the nurse who actually drove my mom home to my cousin's house after a late night visit. Or what about walking outside for the first time in a week in the fresh air and acutely observing the diversity of colors and ages cruise, skip, roll, or crutch across the Jackson Memorial Hospital Plaza. I'm in a new and unfamiliar location, but none the less surrounded by smiles and people getting healthy. Home is where you are, so room #509 to bed #1, and now room #519.... each of you know my sweat and my thoughts and my Bible flopped open to Mark. Bless the Lord! The brother is healing up and 'bout to see his family again. Amen and Amen!


6 comments:

  1. brother jared.
    bless the lord that you are well (well enough to write at least!). know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. your presence is missed her at the Rock. many of our community members are praying for you and are sending blessings to your health! take care friend.
    peace, mike.d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared -- good to hear you've got the chops to blow on that harp!! Get well... Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss you over here. You have been on our mind, and I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better! Keep up the positive thinking! God bless.

    Cheers,
    Alanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jared! You are such a star.

    I am so glad you are feeling better

    Cuidate mucho!

    Amanda Meng

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jared!!
    Holy crap! You miss a lot when you are hanging out in the chocolate trees. Mark just told me the other day you were Evac-ed and we were all super worried for you. This is a great note. So glad to hear you are doing better and look forward to seeing you for a big healthy bear hug at IST.
    Hasta Pronto,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. JARED! I am so glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery because I am going to have to school you in my highly advanced Dominican bachata skills next time our paths cross!

    Cuidate mucho,

    Lindz

    "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2,3

    ReplyDelete