Monday, August 9, 2010

Precious Summer

The moments of 2010 have passed with such velocity that I don't imagine it will be too long until we have reached the year 3010. Some Peace Corps volunteers are counting down the months until their service is over, while others are looking to file for an extension. I find myself in neither situation. I am thinking much about the moment. The present summer has consumed my thought, especially with the fun in planning a summer camp called "Organizando mi Comunidad." It's healthy to have these Sunday's as a bit of down time. Here in the Dominican Republic a long extended siesta after lunch visits from family members on the weekend have been some of my most memorable moments. The barrio fills up with kids dressed in bright Caribbean colors and food enough to cure a famine. I try to stay close to home, not work, and enjoy the fact that "I am because you are." (conscientious words of Mexican poet Octavio Paz). We are connected as one force of humanity. A Dominicans desire to be in the presence of each other is a powerful reminder of how we can share the stories of our own lives as a form of basic entertainment.

So two weeks ago I spent preparing for the construction of a vivero (tree nursery). Seventeen Peace Corps Volunteers from the environmental sector came to visit my site to help construct a community tree nursery. The muchachos in my youth group, "Defensores del Medioambiente," (Defensors of the Environment) are most interested in planting fruit trees. They show interest in living the life of the campesino, while at the same time washing their converse squeaky clean, gelling their hair back, wiping off the stunner shades, and heading into the center of town to stroll the park and posting up to find the best looking girl or guy.

It can be a difficult job to read their interests at times, but the focus remains on community projects. I feel blessed to have such freedom to develop compost bins and gardens without the pressures of strict time lines… nobody putting an order to the madness of community development. It's kinda like always Saturday here. You can rest if you want and someone will gladly accompany you, you can play all day long as if you were in an AYSO soccer tournament, or you can break out the pick and tend to the garden as if it were a hobby and not 10 hours of slave paying labor. I love the options, all though I do have to be straight with myself about when I am going to take my own time. I at least know that Saturdays I will dedicate to washing my clothes and cleaning my house... I involve the kids that come over to play because cleaning alone makes the day extra long... and I know that Sundays are peaceful with God and family.

It's summer time so take a moment to enjoy the sun.

With A Tropical Burst of Love,
Yarred

No comments:

Post a Comment